Insuring additional expenses

If a fire or an earthquake destroys your house, you will need a place to stay, while itís being rebuilt, so you check into a hotel. You will also eat out a lot; because there is no beautiful kitchen to cook in (make sure you keep all the receipts). And since there is no house - there are no mortgage payments, or any utility bills, or grocery costs. This way some of your expenses will go way down, but others will go up. The difference between the two is covered by additional living expense coverage. It pays the costs for up to the policy limit or 12 months, whichever is spent first. You should check with your insurance company if your benefit is unlimited or itís a percentage of Homeowners insurance. You can purchase the extra coverage, but it is almost impossible to go over the base benefit.